Provenance : Property from an important collection based in Vadodara. Artwork was acquired by the present owner directly from the artist.
Height of the figure - 6ft
Born in 1935 in Amritsar, Paramjit Singh had his art education in the
School of Arts, Delhi Polytechnic (1953-58). He was the founder
member of 'The Unknown', a group of young painters and sculptors
based in Delhi.
Paramjit landscapes, with their loaded silence evocative of the other
worldly, became over the years, a distinct mystical utterance in
pictorial terms. The esoteric in his landscapes was perhaps young
Paramjit response to the mystery in tensions between the deep
pictorial space and the sharp shadows of inanimate objects in the
picture metafisica, a short-lived school in modem Italian art, and to
the later Surrealist paintings. All these were transformed over about
two decades into a personal statement in Paramjit's paintings.
Paramjit Singh won the National Award in 1970. Between 1967 and
1994, he had 24 solo shows in India and in important galleries and
art centres in Norway, Germany and Belgium. In 1973 he worked in
the graphics studios of the Atelier Nord, Oslo. He was a faculty
member of the Department of Fine Art, Jamia Milia Islamia, New
Delhi, for 29 years, and retired as Professor in 1992. Between 1957
and 1994, Paramjit participated in 48 important exhibitions in India
and abroad, which included the First Young Asian Artists Exhibition,Tokyo (1957), Art Expo '70, Indian Pavilion, Osaka, Exhibition of Prints, Atelier Nord and Gallery '71, Tromso, Norway (1 973), Indian Art Today, 1Yarmstadt, Germany (1982), the 15th International Biennale, Tokyo (1 984), Inaugural Exhibition, Bharat Bhavan,Bhopal (1984), Art Biennale, Ankara, Turkey (1986), Festival of India,USSR (1987), International Festival of Art, Baghdad (1988), 'Indian Encounters', The Galleria, London (1 993), Art Biennale, Cairo
(1994), Art Festival, Israel (1994).